p:ear is hiring a Wilderness Recreation Coordinator
1% from all sales go to p:ear programs
Join us at City Hall on Thursday July 18th, from 12pm – 2pm for the unveiling of “Destiny’s Child,” a 16’ multi-piece mural of future Tennis hall-of-famer, Serena Williams, made by p:ear youth and renowned artist, Jesse Hazelip.
Wilderness Recreation Coordinator
p:ear builds positive relationships with homeless and transitional youth through education, art and recreation to affirm personal worth and create more meaningful and healthier lives.
p:ear respects and celebrates the diversity, creativity and strength of the p:ear community. Equity and inclusion are a priority across all parts of our organization. We are committed to using our time and resources to help identify and eliminate disparities based on identity and to promoting equitable access to our programs so we can all live in the world we want for our young people.
POSITION TITLE:Wilderness Recreation Coordinator
1 FTE: 8am – 4pm Requires occasional evenings and weekends
COMPENSATION: $45,000. Benefits include generous paid vacation, health, dental, 2% Simple IRA match, short-term disability, 8 paid sick days
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Wilderness Rec Program Coordinator” in the subject line. The job will remain open until full. Email only, no phone calls, please – phone calls will not be returned.
Wilderness Rec Coordinator will serve as a positive adult role model for youth accessing p:ear, with an emphasis on respect and commitment, and will be active in contributing to daily operations and routines of the program. 70% of the Wilderness Rec Coordinator’s time will be spent working directly with youth, 30% of time will be spent on administrative, organization and housekeeping tasks.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
- Experience building trusting, healthy relationships with young people
- Commitment to advancing equity and inclusion and creating and maintaining a diverse environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be a positive and strong role model, have a collaborative, team-oriented work style, and strong strategic and problem-solving skills
- Committed to non-violence and compassionate responses
- Cultural Competence: Awareness of one’s own cultural identity, an understanding of difference and an excitement about building relationships cross-culturally
- Ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of p:ear youth and the p:ear community
- Strong written, oral and online communication skills
- Committed to personal growth
- Desire to grow the program to meet the needs of our diverse population
- Self-initiating, independent and highly motivated
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision in a deadline-oriented environment
- Capacity to thrive amidst chaos, juggle competing priorities and responsibilities, and work calmly in a fast paced and stressful environment
- Able to work occasional nights, weekends, and holidays
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers a varied program through a number of outdoor activities such as hiking/backpacking, climbing, cycling, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
- Provides leadership and performs organizational duties to assure the successful operation of p:ear’s mission
- Experience leading groups into a wilderness setting. Experience with hiking, backpacking, climbing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and cycling
- The WRC is to conduct activity programming, volunteer recruitment, training, and budget development
- Develop, promote, administer, implement and evaluate all aspects of p:ear’s Wilderness Recreation program (Trips, Workshops and Classes)
- Responsible for the maintenance and procurement of all equipment, including purchases, repairs and storage
- Coordinates the scheduling of resource people/volunteers for supervision, instruction and mentoring
- Thorough understanding of risk management policy and procedure in outdoor recreation/pursuits
- Prepared to deal with injuries and accidents as a result of recreational activities
- Maintains all partner affiliations, licenses and fees associated within the industry
- Work with Program Director to develop new programming and/or expansion of existing activities
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS& CONDITIONS
- Strong appreciation of the natural environment, an eagerness to share their passion and the principles of Leave No Trace with others
- Carries a strong sense of responsibility that recognizes the challenges and dangers of many of the activities of this program
- Work in a number of outdoor locations while managing a number of people and projects at one time
- Expertise in programming outdoor recreation.
- Carries a current WFR certification or equivalent or willing to get one within the first 6 months of being hired
- Ability to safely drive a 12 passenger van
Application Guidelines / Contact
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org “Wilderness Rec Program Coordinator” in the subject line. The job will remain open until full. Email only, no phone calls, please – phone calls will not be returned.
This job operates in an often chaotic, loud environment. This role routinely uses standard (kitchen and) office equipment such as stoves, commercial dishwashers, microwaves, refrigerators, freezers, computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
It is the policy of p:ear to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, p:ear will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.