p:ear is hiring a Kitchen Coordinator
Join us at City Hall on Thursday July 18th, from 12pm – 2pm for the unveiling of “Destiny’s Child,” a 16’ multi-piece mural of future Tennis hall-of-famer, Serena Williams, made by p:ear youth and renowned artist, Jesse Hazelip.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Wilderness Rec Program Coordinator” in the subject line. The job will remain open until full. Email only, no phone calls, please – phone calls will not be returned.
An amazing evening celebrating 17 years of p:ear's work with homeless youth!
As a central member of the p:ear team, the Kitchen Coordinator will work collaboratively with leadership and program staff to offer 2 healthy, nutritious meals per day. p:ear’s food program is the hub for shared meals that provide homeless young people with the opportunity to create and share food with other students, staff and volunteers and instills a sense of belonging while providing an experience for them to know they are cared for, appreciated, and worthy of being nurtured.
POSITION TITLE: Kitchen Coordinator
1 FTE: 8am – 4pm (requires occasional evenings and weekends)
REPORTS TO: Program Director
COMPENSATION: $45,000. Benefits include generous paid vacation, health,
2% Simple IRA match, short-term disability, 8 paid sick days
- Experience building trusting, healthy relationships with young people
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be a positive and strong role model, have a collaborative, team-oriented work style, and strong strategic and problem-solving skills
- Committed to non-violent and compassionate responses
- Cultural Competence: Awareness of one’s own cultural identity, an understanding of difference and an excitement about building relationships cross-culturally
- Commitment to advancing equity and inclusion and creating and maintaining a diverse environment
- Ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of p:ear youth and the p:ear donor/supporter community
- Capacity to thrive amidst chaos, juggle competing priorities and responsibilities, and work calmly in a fast paced and stressful environment
- Commitment to local, organic, high quality meal preparation
ESSENTIAL DUTIES &RESPONSIBILITIES:
Cooking / Preparing Meals:
- Prepare wholesome and nutritious breakfasts and lunches for approx. 75 youth / day during scheduled school days (currently Tuesday – Friday)
- Responsible for creating and maintaining p:ear’s weekly meal schedule
- Providing culturally responsive food to represent the diverse population of p:ear youth
- Ensure kitchen is clean, organized, & highly functional
- Maintain Kitchen inventory (both food and non-food items)
- Responsible for coordinating maintenance, upkeep and cleaning of kitchen appliances and machinery
- Responsible for soliciting food donations, maintaining positive relationships with current donors, and purchasing additional supplies with budget as needed
- With the oversight of the Program Director, this position is responsible for creating and maintaining the Kitchen Budget
- Responsible for maintaining p:ear’s robust Kitchen Volunteer Program, with current (regular, weekly) volunteers, as well as one-time Donor Volunteers, as well as increasing these opportunities and partnerships
- Lead p:ear’s “Dinner Club” (currently Thursday evenings, 3pm – 6pm), an educational cooking program
- TBD: Spearhead new “p:ear bakes” program, to supplement p:ear barista school program with baked goods to sell
- Account for and document in-kind food donations daily
- Responsible for tracking and entering data associated with food programming
- Responsible for organizing p:ear’s annual Holiday Potluck (over 100+ people)
- Ability to use / willingness to learn Salesforce, p:ear’s current database
Community / Donor Relationships
- Able to collaborate with community partners to procure a larger quantity of high quality, organic, locally produced food for youth
- Increase the number of volunteer cooks and community partners providing meals in p:ear’s kitchen
- Strengthen and create new partnerships in the community to include more relevant and culturally responsive
- Participate in anti-poverty and hunger groups addressing everything from basic needs to policy change
This job operates in an often chaotic, loud environment. This role routinely uses standard (kitchen and) office equipment such as stoves, commercial dishwashers, microwaves, refrigerators, freezers, computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
No travel expected for this position.
It is the policy of p:ear to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, p:ear will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls. Open until filled.